Home Company Contact Us Why Cyprus
Find Your Property
Ref. No.:
Price from:
Price to:
Advanced Search

EU Citizens Moving to the Republic of Cyprus

The legal requirements for visiting or staying in Cyprus depend on citizenship - European Union (EU) or non-European Union (EU) citizen - reason for entry into Cyprus and the intended duration of the stay.

Because the Republic of Cyprus is a member of the European Union, all citizens of other EU and EEA (European Economic Area) countries do not require a visa to enter, have the same rights of residence as Cypriot citizens and are entitled to the same conditions of employment and social insurance. Non-EU dependants (the spouse and children) of EU citizens are entitled to these same rights.

The government recommends that entry into the Republic of Cyprus be made via one of the legal ports in the government-controlled area. These are the airports of Larnaca and Paphos and the seaports of Larnaca, Limassol, Latsi and Paphos


Planning to Stay: Alien Registration Certificate (ARC) and Residence Permit

EU citizens planning to stay in Cyprus for longer than three months or beginning employment must:

  • Apply for an Alien Registration Certificate (ARC) at the local Immigration Branch of the Police, within 8 days of arrival. There is a small fee for this
  • Apply for a residence permit within three months
  • Apply for a social insurance number, once employment in the country is secured
Registration Certificate and Residence Card

Application for the residence permit, the Registration Certificate, must be requested within four months of the date entry into Cyprus. It can be made at the same time and location as the ARC registration. Proof of employment or adequate finances is needed, and if not employed proof of health insurance is essential. Application must be made in person.

Application forms for a Registration Certificate can be obtained from the Civil Registry and Migration Department of the Ministry of Interior and in some areas, from the local Immigration Branch of the Police.

Documents required for a Registration Certificate application

Retired, non working:

A person retiring to Cyprus, or not working in Cyprus must show that they have:

  • adequate income from legal sources such as pension, employment outside of Cyprus or another means to support themselves
  • proof of funds in a Cyprus or overseas bank
  • proof of comprehensive health insurance


In addition to the passport or identity documents and two passport-sized photographs, students are required to show:

  • proof of their enrolment in a university or college 
  • proof of comprehensive health insurance
  • proof (by declaration) of financial resources
Family Members 

Family members include a spouse, children aged under 21, other dependents and a spouse's dependents, and any direct family members. An application fee is payable at the time of submission along with a fee for each family member.

Permanent Residence

Citizens from other EU countries who have been resident in Cyprus for at least five uninterrupted years are eligible to apply for a Permanent Registration Certificate.

Non-EU citizen family members of an EU citizen may apply for a Permanent Residence Card. An application for a Permanent Residence Card must be submitted within one month of the Residence Card's expiry. The Permanent Residence Card for non-EU family members is valid for 10 years and is renewable.

The family members residing with anyone who has obtained permanent residency are also eligible to apply, regardless of nationality.

A Cyprus resident need not wait five years before applying for permanent residence if they have been employed or self-employed on a permanent basis for a fixed period of time.